13 June 2009

The El Camino of it all.

There's a giant vision that wafts its way into the minds of all South Bay high school students sometime around their junior year: El Camino is a continuation, the 13th and 14th and even 15th and 16th grade of high school.  It's an established fact that if you never want high school to end, go to El Camino, and it doesn't have to.  I'm here to set the record straight, in my own words.

You must first understand something about my academic plan, and that's that it never included El Camino College.  As it turned out, I messed up my freshman year pretty bad, you don't have to know me that well to know that I hate a little college called CSU San Marcos.  The decision that I made at the end of my second semester of freshman year speaks encyclopedias: I could stay in a 4-year or move back home with my parents and go to a community college surrounded by people I never wanted to see again.  Instead of surrounding myself with the unfamiliar I chose to surround myself with the all-too familiar.  San Marcos, for me, really was that bad.  

Somehow I made it through the entire year, 3 semesters worth of work.  I managed to only run into a very small handful of people I once knew.  The professors, not all of them, but most of them were legit.  Most of them knew the system, they understood community college because they had attended one, too, as a freshman and sophomore in college.  I got through it.  I jumped through what I thought were flaming hoops but when I actually got there saw that they were just short hurdles, just something I needed to hop over to get to the next chapter of my life. 

In spanish, El Camino translates to "The Way".  I'm going to leave the cliche up to you to figure out.  

To say that's its been fun would be a lie, but to say its been cruel and unusual also would be.  It's funny how we find ourselves in a transition during life, how we're always working today so that we can do something better tomorrow.  That's how I saw this whole year, it was just a transition.  And now I'm kind of sad that it's over, and that I've missed the part where I was just supposed to accept that this was a part in my life, and that I should hold on to this.  Because I will never be here again.  And you know what? I think I'm going to be okay.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me all your thoughts on cats.