24 June 2010

My BHAG

What is a BHAG? Well, working for lululemon, or really being immersed in the lulu community in general has taught me to set Big Hairy Audacious Goals for myself, to scream out loud the most outrageous but attainable goals (not dreams) in my head and work hard to make the loose ends meet to make them happen.


Tonight a particular goal began with a freewrite in my journal.  I will share this freewrite with you:
Spreading Yoga: A manifestation.  
I am manifesting that I find either an organization or a group of people to join me in spreading the joy and hope and love of yoga to areas of the world and people of those areas that have never felt the sweet release of child's pose or the pulsing adrenaline of a headstand.

So, if you've been following me for a while, or even if this is your first reading of my post, you would know that I am, among many things, a dreamer.  The thing about my dreams, however, is that I've learned to wade through the truly unattainable ones, to cast them aside, and turn the realistic ones into goals.  They really are doable things.  They range from going to film school and getting my MFA in Screen writing to moving to Mexico and opening up a yoga studio.  Of course, I still have a little less than a year left of school, but really, if you look at that in the context of the rest of my life it's not that much time. 

I decided a long time ago that I want to get my certification in yoga.  I've been playing with this dream/goal for quite a while now, but I took it one step further tonight.  I decided that this yoga teacher training will take place on/in an ashram in India.  I figure might as well immerse myself in the place of yoga's origin to truly feel and understand my practice.  The duration will be one month, and will cost an arm and a leg (especially for my freshly college grad, unemployed self), but I will spend the next year saving up for the tuition.

I know somewhere, deep down in my soul that this will take place.  I just have this peaceful feeling in my heart and mind about it, a white light surrounding the very idea of it.  I have meditated and prayed for this white light, this seriousness for so long, and now I hold it in the palm of my hand.

Namaste.

*For more information about BHAGs or to set your own, please visit http://goals.lululemon.com/  

1 comment :

  1. Yay!! :)
    1) I love love love lululemon. Seriously. I am so jealous that you work for them. If there was one in my city, I would for sure be the first in line to get a job (and I'm pretty sure I would be more broke than I am now...)
    2) I love the BHAG concept. I 'like' lululemon on Facebook and have been reading all the BHAGs, and it's really motivating me to make one! I think I have to do a bit more soul searching first to really decide what my personal BHAG should be.
    3) I love YOUR BHAG! It's making me think of 'Eat Pray Love' which funny enough, I'm reading for the second time right now. I think it's an awesome goal, and I pray that you'll be able to make it happen by your goal date! (As I know that you will for sure make it happen sometime).

    I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all your thoughts on cats.