08 July 2010

Cooking for Love: An Update.


Turns out cooking for the people I love might end up killing them.
Yep that's right, as in, my meal last night--spice rubbed chicken tenders with cilantro dipping sauce-- could have been our last meal together.  

Everything appeared to be cooking normal.  Since it's spice rubbed chicken, you make a spice rub which consists of cumin, salt, and chili powder.  The only chili powder I could find in my cupboard was a glass container called "Chili 3000".  Chili 3000?  Well, we all love spicy foods, so I figured this chili powder would be a perfect addition to the spice rub.  I rubbed that mixture all over those chicken tenders, put them in the broiler, and marveled at how perfectly tender they came out.  As I shoved a sizzling bite in my mouth, at first I was impressed with my chicken tender spicy creation.  Then the salt hit my taste buds.

"It's a little bit salty," I warned my family as I brought the platter of chicken to the table.  "And by 'a little bit salty', I mean you're not going to be able to taste the chicken."  My family dug in anyway, despite the forewarning.  Their faces ranged from that look you have after you eat something really really sour, to utter disgust.

"What kind of chili powder did you use?" my dad asked.  I told him I used the Chili 3000.  "Oh, there's the problem.  That is chili mix, as in you add it to an entire batch of chili and it seasons it."  Oops, my bad.

We attempted to scrape some of the seasoning off, or dilute it with the cilantro dipping sauce, but by the end of the meal we ended up with high blood pressure and bloated stomachs (which have continued on into today).  

I'm officially back in the culinary doghouse.  
One thing I have learned, however, is that no matter how bad the food turns out to be, make sure you have a big glass of wine nearby.  
Namaste.

2 comments :

  1. I left you a blog award on my blog! :)
    'Versatile Blogger' award!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome comment on my blog!! I totally know what you mean about feeling like soul sisters while reading each others blogs!
    I love how honest and open you are with your writing. I love when you talk about yoga, and reading and writing:) I also love when you talk about lululemon... Haha. I'm TERRIBLE! I bought four things just a bit ago (that really I shouldn't be buying...), and just this week bought a Savasana Wrap when it came online!! Ahhh! I can't wait for the wrap!! :) But seriously... I need to get a grip on my lulu spending!
    I'm so glad you like my blog!:) I really need to start making a good good effort to get back to writing on it! And to find some interesting topics to talk about... Haha. Can't wait to read more from you:)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all your thoughts on cats.